Tuesday 11 August 2009

Super Scenery and Fab Floors?

The sets for Sleeping Beauty are well underway. There are several new pieces being built this year, a brand new forest, a new lair for Carabosse the witch and new castle pieces. This along with some other new additions will all go to making the Birmingham production as lavish as ever.

There's also going to be a new floor made which I'm assured by the Director Michael Harrison "looks fantastic". He said that it might sound boring talking about a floor in panto but an ugly floor in a theatre like the Hippodrome means a good portion of the audience spending over two hours looking down at the stage - get the floor the wrong colour or wrong design and the cosmetics of the show can look awful.

Michael recently visited the scenery stores in Yorkshire (I bet it's an Aladdin's cave - pardon the pun - of all things panto). He told me that he had spotted two huge props used for the entrances of Joe Pasquale and Ceri Dupree - I wanted to know a bit more but his lips were sealed. I suppose I will have to wait until the panto dress rehearsal for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment